* At a pretty early age (aprox 3 months 12 weeks old) you can determine sex by the eye color.
Males have green eyes, Females have Brown.
* It takes aprox 2 to 3 yrs for a male to fully color out.
* These birds can handle the cold weather with minimal care
* They originate from the moutainous areas of China
* It does well on a standard pheasant diet which can
include mixed grains, greens, and/or manufactured game bird feeds
* Due to their good nature they are usually good starter birds for begginers
to get involved with.
* F-quaility is always a selling point. Most of the time it's not lagit. I asked on one of my
favorite boards and Noah replied with :
Kurt Landig wrote an excellent article on the subject. In it he talked about the F1 theory. F stands
for Felale which means from wild stock. So if you have F1 birds then they would have to be birds caught out of the wild and
then successfully bred together making there offspring F1. So when people say they have F1 birds, ask to see the importation
papers on the parents, without them they are just useing the term to try to boost the sales of their birds.
A top from Dan Cowell about Zoo's:
"Some breeders will claim birds from zoo stock are automatically f-1. I am
very familiar with how zoos acquire their birds and several pheasant species that are kept in zoos are not from wild importations.
Some folks will slap the tag "from so & so zoo lines" when selling their birds. Well it does sound flashy, but it
doesn't hold much bearing."
*Please remember this if you buy F quailty stolk on eggbid. If the auctioneer states
they have F-1 birds, ask for the importation papers on the parents. Someone with computer skills enough to post pics and do
eggbid can easily copy thier papers and fax or jpg them to you! (in my humble opinion).
*If they alegidly come from a zoo then you can easily look up the phone number
out of the book or 411 and call and ask questions from the source yourself, if lagit!! If not the zoo can varify that
*Never take the phone number from the person your dealing with as they can easily
give you thier phone number or friends and answere pretending to be the zoo! Get zoo number on your own!